After a surgical procedure or hospitalization, the words we look forward to hearing most are, “Here are your discharge papers – you’re able to go home now!” What a feeling of relief there is in coming through the front door, sinking into a favorite chair, and unwinding.
Yet there are frequently quite a few tasks necessary for proper healing and recovery and to prevent a re-hospitalization. For senior loved ones who live alone, and even for anyone with family support, it can be daunting to sort through all of the post-hospitalization instructions, make follow-up appointments, pick up prescriptions, adapt to any needed dietary or lifestyle changes, and much more.
This is where an expert home care agency, like Hearts at Home In-Home Care, is essential. Our transitional home care can start even before discharge to ensure each important detail will be looked after. Working with the hospital’s care team, we can develop and implement a recovery plan to include:
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Preparing a list of medications, together with any dietary restrictions and/or allergies
- Ensuring the pantry and fridge are stocked with healthy foods
- Establishing physical activity routines
- Arranging for any essential medical equipment to be brought to the home
- Outlining any potential medical issues and side effects
After discharge, we can:
- Provide safe transportation home from the hospital (and to any follow-up medical appointments or procedures)
- Pick up any prescriptions and ensure they’re taken exactly as prescribed
- Plan and prepare meals
- Assist with showers, getting dressed, utilizing the toilet, etc.
- Offer companionship for conversations, puzzles, card games, as well as other enjoyable activities
- Watch for and report any changes in condition or potential medication side effects
- Take care of laundry and light household chores
- Provide support with walking to prevent falls
- Connect your loved one with other local helpful resources
- And so much more
By making use of the experienced and compassionate care staff at Hearts at Home In-Home Care, older adults can decrease the worry that frequently comes with a hospitalization and concentrate on acquiring the rest necessary to recover. Not just that, but our services enable older adults to avoid a stay in a rehabilitation facility so they can recover where they are most comfortable: at home.
If a senior you love is facing a planned surgery, call us to learn more about our home care assistance in Kansas City. We will be pleased to come visit the senior at home and begin to develop a plan to ensure a smooth transition home again. We can also perform a home safety assessment and provide strategies for any changes needed to prevent falls – a frequent and dangerous occurrence after a hospitalization.