“I’m going to force myself to run three miles each day.”
“I’m going to eat more celery and less chocolate.”
“I’m going to clean the bathrooms more often.”
Do your New Year’s resolutions feel more like punishment than positivity? If so, resolve to make 2024 the year you set some goals you will look forward to keeping! If you need a little inspiration to get started, consider the following:
Positive Steps for Family Caregivers in 2024
- Care for yourself. You spend a great deal time caring for others. Set time aside each day to do something kind, just for you. This could be as simple as a bubble bath before bed, a quick run to a favorite coffee shop, or designated time each day to curl up under a cozy quilt and read.
- Let go of what you cannot control. So much of the time we spend worrying is the result of things that are outside of our control. Give yourself permission to step back and remind yourself that you are human, and there will be situations you cannot resolve and problems you can’t fix.
- Pay attention to your inner dialogue. Nip any self-directed words of negativity in the bud. If you realize you’re silently berating yourself for losing your patience, stop and remind yourself that you are a loving, selfless, and devoted family caregiver for a person you love. Because of you, they can continue living at home and enjoy the best possible quality of life. Think of the way you would encourage a friend in your shoes, and turn that encouragement inward.
- Strive to discover the bright side. There are certainly difficulties and challenges with caring for an older loved one. However, there are also lots of positives to focus on instead. Rather than fret about the bad weather that changed your plans, settle in to watch some home movies and reminisce over a cup of comforting cocoa.
- Accept help. Let this be the year that you realize caring for someone you love is a job that’s much more effective when shared. Let family and friends know that you would like some support, and allow them to step in to help with meals, housework, laundry, running errands—whatever would alleviate stress and allow you to achieve a healthier life balance.
At Hearts at Home In-Home Care, we are here to help make these and any other New Year’s resolutions a reality! Our caregivers are fully trained and experienced in a multitude of care needs, and can partner with you to:
- Offer friendly companionship for an older loved one including engaging conversations, games, puzzles, hobbies, exercise, and much more
- Plan and prepare nourishing, delicious meals
- Help with laundry, light housekeeping, changing bed linens, etc.
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments and procedures or fun outings
- Pick up groceries and run any other errands as needed
- And much more
From the Hearts at Home In-Home Care family to yours, Happy Holidays and all the very best in the new year!