We either love them or avoid them, but no matter what our stance on New Year’s resolutions, there is something incredibly refreshing about stepping into a whole new year, providing us with a clean slate and the chance to make any modifications we want to improve total well-being or to accomplish a brand new goal or dream.
For family caregivers, New Year’s resolution lists tend to be particularly significant, mainly because they affect not merely the caregivers themselves, but their senior loved ones. It’s important, however, to keep resolutions sensible. Resolving, for instance, to get a full eight hours of sleep each night, while caring for a family member who has problems with sundowning issues in Alzheimer’s, could be setting yourself up for disappointment.
Try instead to think about one of the following resolutions especially developed with family caregivers in mind:
- I shall reach out for help and support, and take assistance when offered.
- I give myself permission to say “no” to requests to prevent dealing with more than I am able to handle.
- I will make my own health (both physical and mental) a priority, making sure that I set up and keep medical-related checkups and appointments.
- I will remind myself that self-care is not selfish, and that by taking good care of myself, I’m able to take better care of my loved one.
- I will take note of my energy level, and make a plan in order to avoid allowing myself to reach the point of exhaustion, burnout, or depression.
If the mere thought of achieving any one of these goals feels too lofty to even consider, we’ve got a remedy! Partner with Hearts at Home In-Home Care for expert, in-home respite care on a regular schedule, allowing yourself necessary time away from fulfilling the care needs of your senior loved one, while knowing she or he will receive a number of benefits as well, such as improved socialization through the companionship of a skilled, experienced, and compassionate caregiver.
Starting with a no-cost in-home consultation, we will listen to the particular needs and challenges of your loved one, and develop a customized plan of care to fulfill those needs, through many different services such as:
- Help with personal hygiene, dressing, ambulation and transfers
- Running errands, such as buying groceries and picking up prescriptions
- Accompanied transportation to medical appointments and enjoyable outings
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Meal planning and preparation, according to any prescribed dietary plans
- Engagement in conversations, reminiscing, games, and exercise, along with other pastimes that are of interest to the older adult
- And many others
Contact the specialists in home care in Mission Hills and the surrounding communities at Hearts at Home In-Home Care by calling 913-440-4209 today, and take the initial step when it comes to attaining a unique goal in 2020!
From all of us at Hearts at Home In-Home Care, we wish you happy holidays and all the best in the year to come!