Are you aware that for every single pound of weight we lose, we relieve four pounds of force from our knees, and as many as six pounds from our hips? This is definitely great motivation for individuals to continue to be active, regardless of age! Particularly for the elderly, however, who are prone to joint pain from arthritis along with other conditions of aging, introducing an exercise program into the daily routine can make a big difference in lessening discomfort.
With the approval of the senior’s physician, Hearts At Home In Home Care recommends the following types of exercises to assist senior loved ones in maintaining healthy joints:
- Get started with a warm-up. Just before exercising, the individual must always start out with gentle bending and stretching moves, such as reaching up overhead, bending down to touch the toes (or as close as possible without causing discomfort), side bends, and moving the arms in slow, wide circles.
- Swim a lap or two. Swimming is an excellent low-impact aerobic fitness exercise, and simply being in the water is incredibly relaxing for both your mind and body. Seek out a senior swim class, or join your loved one in swimming one or two laps at his or her own pace.
- Get in some strength training. Strength training can be accomplished any time and anywhere and at virtually any fitness level. Resistance bands, hand weights or even bottles of water are excellent for building upper body strength. The individual should start light and steadily progress up to an increased difficulty level – again, with guidelines from the physician.
- Take a hike. There is nothing quite as invigorating and energizing as going on a walk outdoors, when weather allows. Walking through the neighborhood gives the additional benefit of socializing with neighbors on the way; or find a wooded trail to savor the quiet beauty of nature.
- Try something new. Check with the area senior center or gym to locate a class your loved one might like to try, such as yoga or tai chi. Enroll in the class together and get the additional benefit of creating some fun new memories with the senior!
At Hearts At Home In-Home Care, it is our mission to help older adults enjoy life to the fullest, and to continue to be as active and engaged as possible – enhancing both physical and emotional wellbeing. As the leader in home health agencies in Kansas City, MO and the surrounding area, we’re always on hand to supply transportation for seniors and accompaniment to exercise courses or just about any other activities of interest. Reach out or call us at 913-440-4209 to make the initial step in helping your loved one achieve a healthier and happier quality of life.