It’s totally natural to find yourself swept up in the whirlwind of tasks that occur in the holiday season: all of the shopping and wrapping, writing and sending, preparing and decorating, baking and visiting. But in the midst of the hustle and bustle, it’s also easy to neglect the significance of slowing down enough to fully enjoy the company of our elder family members. With a little creative thinking, holiday celebrations can be modified to integrate activities for young and old, and everyone in between.
Hearts at Home, providers of senior home care solutions, has collected the list below of holiday activities for seniors that can help family members of all ages join in the fun together:
- Create easy holiday decorations together, such as orange/clove pomades, paper chains or snowflakes, homemade ornaments, etc.
- Gather together to sing some popular holiday songs, and reminisce over memories these songs bring to mind.
- Bake cookies, pies, or other favorite holiday treats, particularly those the senior has prepared over the years, encouraging him or her to pass the tradition on to the younger family members.
- Wrap gifts or write out holiday cards as a family, allowing younger children and older adults who may struggle with these tasks to add stickers, bows, tags, etc.
- Engage in an evening or afternoon enjoying classic holiday movies together.
- Go out together to watch a holiday program or play at an area school or community center.
- Get together for a game night with a holiday slant, such as holiday “name that tune” or holiday charades, or with classic card and board games that the older person may have played growing up.
- Decide as a family on a charitable cause that touches your hearts, and work together to help in some way, such as by collecting warm gloves for those in need, or baking homemade dog treats for the local animal shelter.
- Take a drive to take a look at holiday lights, or walk through the mall and enjoy the holiday environment.
- Create a “remember when…” video or journal, with the older adult sharing his or her memories of previous holidays while the younger ones record or document their experiences, draw accompanying pictures, and ask questions to learn more.
For additional tips on holiday activities for seniors, contact the in-home care professionals at Hearts at Home. We’re also available to help make the holidays brighter and safer for seniors, and to minimize stress for family members, through individualized home care services such as:
- Accompanied transportation for holiday functions and outings
- Help with house cleaning and organization
- Running errands to pick up groceries, gifts, or any other needed items
- Help with holiday decorating
- Companionship to share in conversations, arts & crafts, exercising, reminiscing, and more
If your senior loved one could benefit from senior home care solutions, you can reach our senior home care experts at your convenience by calling 913-440-4209 to learn more about our senior care services, to request resources related to your senior loved one’s needs, or to schedule a free in-home meeting. From all of us at Hearts at Home, we wish you and your family the happiest of holidays!